Re: Re[2]: A Tcase is a Tcase?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 19:52:48 EDT

> Have you tried adjusting the linkage yet? I flipped through the NV231
section
> in my FSM (keep in mind this is for a '98) and in the diagnosis chart it
lists
> the following for the T-Case popping out of range:
>
> 2) Transfer case shift linkage out of adjustment.
> Remedy: Adjust linkage as necessary.
> 3) Transfer case shift linkage loose or binding.
> Remedy: Repair, replace, or tighten linkage components as necessary
> 4) Range fork damaged, inserts worn, or fork is binding on the shift rail.
> Remedy: Repair or replace components as necessary.
> 5) Low range gear worn or damaged.
> Remedy: Repair or replace components as necessary.
>
> To adjust the linkage you need to lift the vehicle, engage the shifter in
4L
> and tie the shifter back with some wire or string before working on the
T-case
> linkage. I dunno if this jives with your '94 Haynes manual but I thought
it
> might be worth a try.
>
> My manual also talked alot about incorrect fluid or low fluid level as
possible
> causes of T-case problems... Thought I'd throw that in as something to
just
> double check even though I don't think that's the problem.
>
> Where you don't have any nasty noises or other problems when you hold it
in
> 4wd, it sure sounds more like a "superficial" problem as opposed to
something
> really bad internally.

Tom,
Does your FSM have any specifics though on adjusting the linkage(s)?, or
should I assume I will just have to play around with the linkage
until(hopefully) the lever holds in 4HI/4LO? I guess I will first try
tightening everyting, or making sure the linkage assembly is all tight. I
just dont know what to look for or what actually gets/needs adjusting within
the linkage. Any info would be great appreciative.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6