Re[2]: A Tcase is a Tcase?

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 07:27:33 EDT

Kyle,

Have you tried adjusting the linkage yet? I flipped through the NV231 section
in my FSM (keep in mind this is for a '98) and in the diagnosis chart it lists
the following for the T-Case popping out of range:

2) Transfer case shift linkage out of adjustment.
Remedy: Adjust linkage as necessary.
3) Transfer case shift linkage loose or binding.
Remedy: Repair, replace, or tighten linkage components as necessary
4) Range fork damaged, inserts worn, or fork is binding on the shift rail.
Remedy: Repair or replace components as necessary.
5) Low range gear worn or damaged.
Remedy: Repair or replace components as necessary.

To adjust the linkage you need to lift the vehicle, engage the shifter in 4L
and tie the shifter back with some wire or string before working on the T-case
linkage. I dunno if this jives with your '94 Haynes manual but I thought it
might be worth a try.

My manual also talked alot about incorrect fluid or low fluid level as possible
causes of T-case problems... Thought I'd throw that in as something to just
double check even though I don't think that's the problem.

Where you don't have any nasty noises or other problems when you hold it in
4wd, it sure sounds more like a "superficial" problem as opposed to something
really bad internally.
Luck!
Tom