Re: RE: RE: ML: RE: RE: 4.7 Hemi

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 12:45:44 EDT

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Stlaurent Mr Steven wrote:

> Not to give any pun to previous remarks but this is the next hemi motors for
> DC.
>
> The only changes are coming is the heads will again be reshaped and the
> internal will remain the same. The 3.8, 4.7, 5.7, and 7.?. All will be
> designated Hemi. So, it matters not what was the previous 426, 440, etc
> what design were. The is enough design difference in the 4.7 PowetTech
> motor than the Magnum version. Get use to the name, it is here to stay. Now
> if only there was a market for this motor in

  Steven,

  It was my understanding that the upcoming HEMI motors from DC, such
as the 5.7 rumored to be available in the 300M will be true HEMI
motors, as opposed to the 4.7 which has many similarities to a HEMI,
but is not a true HEMI.

   I may be reading a bit too deep into the situation, but since DC
hasn't called the 4.7 a HEMI, and they're not calling it a Powertech
(anymore) either, I almost wonder if the 4.7 is an interm motor;
something to bridge the gap between the Magnums and the HEMIs? I
would love it if the 4.7's heads were redesigned as true HEMI once
the new motors are out. Either that, or perhaps it would be dropped
in favor of a pushrod 4.7l HEMI. (Although that seems to be going
in the opposite direction from where most automakers are going.)

  Anyway, like I said, maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it
seems really weird to me that DC is calling the 4.7 a Magnum, and
is passing up the marketing opportunity of hyping a new engine
line. That's sort've what makes me wonder if the 4.7 is a Magnum ->
HEMI stop-gap.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'