Transfer Case Question; Vacuum??

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 16:57:36 EDT

Norah, Bill, Others..........can anyone positively identify if the NP231
transfer cases have a vacuum switch or is the 4WD system
controlled/activated at all through vacuum? I do not think so, but needed a
confirmation on this. My Hayne's manual identifies a vacuum switch on the
exploded tcase breakdown picture, but the picture pertains to NP231 and
NP241 tcases(I guess they are similar?). I found some online sources which
pinpoint the tcase vacuum switch as a possible place to have 4WD engagement
problems, but it really only talked about Rams having this; because it
becomes dirty/clogged and this will affect the vacuum. I did look on my
tcase and could not find anything which would resemble a vacuum switch, but
who knows.
***Would a vacuum switch have vacuum hoses running out of it or could/would
it be a switch which utilizes an electrical connector? I found a 'something'
where the Hayne's manual says the vacuum switch should be, but it has no
hoses connected to it, just a 2 wire waterproof electrical connector which
runs up towards the firewall.
***Also, does anyone know if I can remove the detent nut(7/8" socket) along
with the detent spring and pin, check the spring/pin for corrosion and will
I be able to put it back in??? Since the detent spring/pin is located on the
bottom most area of the tcase, I thought it could possibly become filled
with crud and won't allow the lever to fully 'lock' or engage into 4HI/4LO;
this is the main responsibility of the detent plug/spring/pin, from my
understanding.
Thanks for any and all info you can send my way.!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6