Re: spark plugs

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 23:33:29 EDT

At 08:44 PM 7/9/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been experimenting with different spark plugs, trying to fix a
>"problem". The "problem" is that the ceramic insulator is bright white, not
>tan like its supposed to be. What does this indicate? Am I running lean, or
>are the plugs too hot? I've tried stock Champion RC12LC4's, Champion Truck
>Plugs, and Autolite 5224's.... all with the same result. Any idea what's
>going on? Doug Myers '99 Dakota RC/SB 318/5-speed/3.92SG

Hi, Doug

Generally, if the insulator is white your motor is either
1) really lean or
2) the motor did not get enough load or didn't load long
   enough to "color" the plugs

It's not likely that 1) is happening ... closed loop op
should be oscillating afr mixture between rich and lean
in trying to get stoich. Does 2) sound like it might
fit your driving pattern?

Bob