89 231 transfer case / auto tranny

From: Elie *eel* Daccache (HouseBoy@breakz.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 15:33:39 EDT

just a quick question

we're all aware of transfer case whine, that seems to originate from the
shift linkage on this configuration

on my setup, holding the shift knob dampens the noise entering the cab

however, the noise/hum is only present when my truck goes into overdrive
(and locks up the torque converter i assume)

when its not on overdrive (o/d off switch) there is little noise.

transmission ATF is OK
front diff fluid level is OK (same with rear)

but ive only had this truck a few months

so can someone step me thru filling the transfer case or send me a picture??
(on or off list)

ive looked the whole thing over looking for the plugs but have NO idea what
im looking for (was first looking for a rubber stopper)

if anyone has other ideas (re - overdrive / transfercase noise) let me know
otherwise i've got to sell the thing... :(