Re: 89 231 transfer case / auto tranny

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 15:06:22 EDT

> we're all aware of transfer case whine, that seems to originate from the
> shift linkage on this configuration
> on my setup, holding the shift knob dampens the noise entering the cab
> however, the noise/hum is only present when my truck goes into overdrive
> (and locks up the torque converter i assume)
> when its not on overdrive (o/d off switch) there is little noise.
> transmission ATF is OK
> front diff fluid level is OK (same with rear)
> > but ive only had this truck a few months
> so can someone step me thru filling the transfer case or send me a
picture??

Transfer case 'whine'.....hmmm..........not sure what you are hearing, but
my 93 with the 231 tcase doesnt make any noises. How many miles is on your
truck? I recently had some major trouble engaging 4WD, and the tcase lever
would constantly pop out of gear. It turned out to be the Mobil 1 Synthetic
ATF I put in the tcase. I have always used Amsoil ATF, but this last time
decided to try Mobil 1 ATF.......big mistake. Fluid requirements for the
NP231 are ATF+3 7176, and if that is not available, use Dexcron II
ATF(though I wouldnt). Well the Mobil 1 ATF was Dexcron II approved, but did
not state anything about being 7176 compatable. I poured 2 quarts of
Valvoline ATF+3 7176 ATF through the tcase, to flush out all the bad Mobil
1, and then filled the case back up with the Valvoline 7176 ATF. After I did
this, all of the 4WD engagement problems vanished. If you plan on draining
and refilling your tcase, replace the fluid only with ATF+3 7176 fluid, do
not put anything else in there. This ATF+3 Fluid may be harder to find, but
look around and buy yourself 4 quarts, 2 to flush the case and the remaining
2 quarts to fill it back up. My tcase is supposed to take 2.6 pints of 7176
ATF, and it took a little under that. As far as the drain and fill plugs are
concerned, both plugs should be located on the rear case, facing the rear
axle. My 231 tcase requires a 30MM wrench for the fill and drain plugs.
There is a frame crossmember running right next to the rear case, so a
socket/ratchet cannot be used. So go get a 30MM wrench, $22 at Sears or $18
at Home Depot. The drain plug is, of course, at the bottom most of the
tcase. Both fill and drain plugs are on the side of the rear case, not on
the botton of it. The one large bolt you may see on the bottom of the case,
which takes a 7/8" socket, is for the shift detent plug/spring/pin, but do
not mess with this at all when doing a simple fluid flush and fill up. Just
look for two large hex head type bolts, which will be the fill and drain
plug. I did hose down the entire tcase shift linkage with 3M penetrant and
3M Spray Gease, to help loosen the linkage up and prevent binding. Hope this
helps you out.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 125,500 miles