Re: How do I get at the distributor cap?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 21:03:58 EDT

At 07:46 PM 7/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok, so I'm poking around in my engine compartment trying to figure out
>how long it'll take me to do this wire/cap/plug swap (upgrade). How on
>earth does one remove the distributor cap on a Gen III with a 318?
>Disclaimer: I've never done it on any vehicle, so I'm not intimately
>familiar with the process to begin with. My Haynes manual isn't very
>helpful - basically it says "just do it." I can't even figure out how
>I'm going to get in there to unscrew anything.

Hey, Andy

Remove the air hat or air cleaner (whatever is applicable to you)
and you'll see the distributor towards the firewall.

The cap is help on by 2 screw (philips, if I remember correctly).
Remove them and lift the cap off (remember the orientation)
and take a bit of car with the wiring to the cam position sensor.
Lift the rotor off ... remember the orientation again.
Put on new rotor, new cap. You may want to put some dielectric
grease on the connectors under the cap.

Hope this helps.

Bob