Re: dakota crash tests: not good...

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 23:12:50 EDT

There are a number of people on this here list who will tell you
otherwise about the Dakota's safety in collisions. I can't get to the
DML website right now, but if you head to the "photos" area, select the
"B"s and scroll down about halfway, you'll find a Gen-III that was in a
200+ MPH head-on collision (he was doing 85, the other car 125 or so)
and the driver would have walked away had he not shattered his kneecap
on the CB he had hanging under the dash. The truck was destroyed almost
beyond recognition. I repeat: he damn near walked away.

There are so many "intangibles" in collisions that I tend to read those
ratings with a cautious eye. Some days, I sit closer to the door than
others. Sometimes I have my left foot extended (out where it could be
hit by that wheelwell intrusion), other times tucked in near the seat.
Some days I'm really tense, others I'm really loose. I change the angle
of my seat every few days to alleviate various back pains. All of these
can change how you may or may not get injured in a crash.