Re: V6 to V8

From: Ptturbo@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 10:11:58 EDT

Hi David,
The boneyard books show that the 2wd tranmissions were different,
but the 4x4 trans interchages between 5.2 & 3.9.. It is called an AX15.
 I can't find any info on the clutch. Your 6 cyl flywheel is listed as:
Dakota 3.9 V6 92-97
Dodge Van 5.2 V8 92-93
Dodge Van 3.9 V6 92-95
Strange thing is. I can't find a V8 5spd Dak in 93..
The books sometimes have "gaps" in them.
A call to the parts store to see if the same clutch disc is
listed for 3.9 & 5.2 in 1993 would answer the clutch issue.
Typically, engines with less cylinders & displacement can have smaller
diameter clutch discs. I've seen them use the same flywheel for 6 & 8 cyl,
but use a smaller disc & pressure plate for the 6cyl. Maybe to reduce
inertia.
I think it will bolt all together, but be prepared
to drill the auto trans crank for a pilot bushing. Most of that era
were ready for manual or auto trans, but I've seen cases where the auto
trans crank was not drilled for the T/O bearing.
This type of project is best embarked upon "with no deadline".. 8-)
HTH's
Mike V