WAS: Dakota crash tests. NOW: Seat belts

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 14:29:09 EDT

Well, as a thinking person I certainly can't claim that wearing a seat belt
would be beneficial for every conceivable event, and even the most likely
odds can be beaten (both for and against us). However, I sincerely believe
it's a no-brainer that the occasions where seat belts would reduce your risk
of injury outnumber those where they wouldn't by an enormous margin. I too
have seen, read and heard anti-seat-belt arguments, and I have yet to see
any persuasive logic to change my feeling about the odds in favor of wearing
seat belts (although I don't believe it should be legislated, but that's a
whole 'nother can of worms!).

My own story (even while discounting the overall value of single instances,
but it's a fun story) is that I've been in a car -- a '78 VW Rabbit to
boot! -- that rolled and spun end-over-end at 85 mph, and I walked away
without even a bruise. My fiance bonked her head on the passenger window and
had a slight bump. That was the extent of our injuries. I doubt I'd be
enjoying my life or my Dak today without that seat belt!

The upside was that I never had to see that stinkin' car of hers again! Ha
ha ha!

- Alex