Re: Re: Hood (Aaron)

From: Jon (jon@twistedbits.net)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 16:30:22 EDT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Chuck Robbins wrote:

> Well, if you're talking about my site and hood ...
>
> This hood is fiberglass and will require A LOT more prep work to
> install than a steel hood. From what little I've seen of fiberglass hoods
> in person, I would have to say that the quality of construction is up
> there, but there were some details that needed fixing.

   Yep, the quality definitely varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
My Checkmate tonneau cover required LOTS of prep and several coats of
primer and its still got fish eyes in it. On the other hand, when he
did my ProGlass hood, my body shop guy said that it was the best quality
fiberglass piece he had ever seen. Required hardly any prep.

> The hood is originally $400 plus crating & shipping, but I organized
> a group buy so it cost $280 plus. I bought this hood because I like the
> styling of it. There are other so called ram air hoods for more money.
> It just depends on personal preference.
> As for the functionality of this hood, it should be called a cool air
> intake hood as you won't see any ram air effects until 100 or so mph. I
> will go so far as to say that it keeps my engine bay cooler, but that is
> about
> it. I have not seen any performance gains based solely on the hood.
> Legendary does not have a web site, but you can call them at
> 215)491-1717. They are out of Warrington, PA. If you have any further
> questions, you know how to reach me ;-)

    I agree. I guess it technically is a ram-air hood, but the ram air
effect is negligible at low speeds. (low speeds being under 300mph
or so) It does feed lots of nice cool air to the engine though. I
saw 2 to 3 tenths from my ProGlass hood when I sealed it off to the
airbox. (The air cleaner was noticably cooler than the rest of the
engine.)

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'