Re: MSD MPG Results

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 21:55:05 EDT

Holy Cow! That's roughly a 15% increase in fuel economy! I'm intrigued but
also skeptical. Can these results be repeated?
Thanks.
Tom

Subject: DML: MSD MPG Results
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
Date: 7/12/00 2:12 PM

This was a short and sweet test, just to see if I saw any MPG affects
with/without the MSD 6-Offroad Ignition. When I installed the ignition, I
also used the 8873 Universal Wiring Harness, so I can easily plug/unplug the
MSD Ignition within seconds. Driving conditions were very similar for both
tests.

Test Mule Specs: 1993 Dodge Dakota Sport Regular Cab 4x4 V6; 3.55 LSD;
125,500 miles. Tires are the stock sized LT235-75R15s.

Side Note #1: I do not run my tank down past the 1/4 marker on the gas
gauge, just for cooling and lubrication purposes for the fuel pump assembly.
Gasoline used was purchased at Meijer's, using 87 octane.

Side Note #2: I installed a new Borg Warner Select Brass Distributor Cap,
Borg Warner Select Rotor, and a new set of Autolite Copper plugs the same
day this test started. For both fillups, I used my regular amount of Amsoil
P.I., which is 2 ounces per fillup. Plenty of dielectric grease was used on
the coil, spark plugs, and distributor cap terminals.

Side Note #3: For additional reference, I am also running Amsoil 75W90 in
both differentials, Amsoil ATF in the transfer case, Castrol 10W30 in the
engine(with no 'additives'), Amsoil 2Stage Hi-Flo Air Filter, QuickD TB,
Dual Cold Air Ducts, MSD 8.5MM Super Conductors, Accel Super Coil,
Flowmaster 3Chamber 50 Series Delta Flow Muffer, Redline Water
Wetter............all of these may/may not affect the MPG readings.

Side Note #4: Some factors which may reduce MPG on my truck, some being
aerodynamic issues, some having weight issues, or both: Firestik II Antenna
with SS Quick Disconnect, Rhino Liner(double coated), Grill\Brush Guard
coated with LineX, Custom-Made Aluminum Radiator Guard/PreRunner
Front Plate, Hella 500 6" Round Driving Lights, Hella XL Low Beams, Contico
Tool Box (Extremely Full Of Recovery Gear/Tools), Reese Class IV Hitch,
Transfer Case Skid Plate, Tailgate up always, Open bed(no tonneau
cover).............all of these may/may not affect the MPG readings.

-Now onto the numbers:
First Tank: MSD 6-Offroad Ignition unhooked, running the truck off of the
'stock ignition.' Spark Plugs gapped to .040(Stock is .035).
*237.15 miles
*Put 15.855 gallons in
*14.957 MPG

Second Tank: MSD 6-Offroad Ignition hooked up. Spark Plugs regapped to .050.
*255.65 miles
*Put 14.873 gallons in
*17.188 MPG

>From where I stand, it appears the MSD Ignition, along with the larger spark
plug gap, does help out gas mileage. An gas mileage improvement of 2.231 is
good enough for me.
Kyle..............Real Dakotas Are Built, Not Bought
http://www.bastaards.org/Kyle.htm