Re: Dodge transmissions - my problem resolved (for now, at least)

From: Luke White (lukewhite@emeraldis.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 21:58:04 EDT

My wife and I were one of the complainers. Luckily, our problem has been
resolved (so far - knock on wood!). We've got a 2K QC 4.7 5-speed that
started jumping out of first gear at around 600 or so miles. We started
tracking it at around 800 miles and between 800 and 1400 miles (when the
transmission was replaced) it jumped out 20 times! When we took it in, the
tranny guy called Dodge, who referred him to New Venture. New Venture said
they would swap the tranny for a new one. IIRC he said that NV was aware of
the problem and was routinely swapping trannys to rectify the situation.
They said that it would be about 2 weeks for the tranny to arrive. Well,
three weeks went by and I decided to call. Guess what - it was there, but
they hadn't bothered to call - I absolutely HATE it when they do that!
(Someone on the list had said that the trannys were on back order
nationwide - from my experience this may not be the case now.) Took the
truck in the next morning and picked it up that afternoon. Shifts are
noticeably better, especially 1st-2nd, and no jumping out of gear. Of
course it took about 600 miles for it to start acting up initially, so I'm
not going to pass judgement until we've got 1500-2000 miles on the new
tranny.

Those of you that are having this problem and aren't getting anywhere ought
to INSIST they call New Venture.

Later,

Luke
2K QC 4.7 5-speed

<snip>
I have only been on the mailing list for a couple of weeks and it seems like
Dodge Dakotas have a lot of tranny trouble. My R/T is screwed and wont be
resolved until the dealer gets their parts and "finds" time for me.
Especially these multispeed 4.7's. Can Chrysler just not build them?
Counting the members of the list, I would say about 1/4 have mentioned
tranny
trouble since I have been on and most of those trucks were near new. That
sucks bad. Anybody have an explanation?

Aaron W (too many Aarons)

<snip>