RT Meet

From: Mike Williams (evilrt@bignet.net)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 08:07:00 EDT

First off, I just got back on DML after being off for a about a year. I've
dropped off the MML so it give me a little more time to read emails.

As far as the R/T meet goes, we had about 4 months to plan it. After initial
meeting with Dodge marketing I felt that we should have an all Dakota meet.
We would have ended up with a lot more support from Dodge for such an event.
The subject was raised and the majority of R/T owners wanted to make this an
special R/T only meet, not just another Dakota get together. Being that it
was a R/T only meet it attracted people from as far away as Hawaii. People
drove their R/T's from California and Washington State. I doubt this would
have happened if it was another Dakota meet.

For next years meet we threw around the idea of an a Dodge Truck Nationals,
where nothing but Dodge trucks would be involved, from classic Power wagons,
A-100's, LRE, Cummins, everything, (how cool would that be). The Dakota R/T
Club and List pretty much decided that we wanted a small special get
together, and would leave the major planning for such an event to other
groups that included more than just one specialty vehicle.

This years event was public knowledge, it as advertised in National
publications, and had a prominate link on dakotart.com. No were did it say
that you could not come and spectator if you did not have a R/T. If any
Dakota had showed up at Milan for the racing event they would have been
welcome to watch. They could have even raced if they paid the $20 fee, they
would have just not been eligible for awards. We had the track rented for 3
hours and had 76 R/T with tech cards there were quite a few more that showed
up and didn't race. Additional racers would have just meant that we would
have made more money off the event.

I don't know why people expect the Dakota R/T club, registry and mailing
list to organize an all Dakota meet. I think that should be the
responsibility of the DML. I attended last years get together Mark put on at
Milan and also was at C@C as a part of the DML and had a great time at both
events. The DML seems to excel at putting on small regional meets. If people
want an all Dakota national meet it will take the organization of the DML to
put it on. The Dakota R/T club as members of the Dakota family would be
happy to help out in the planning of an event but will not initiate it

Mike Williams
00 Blk R/T RC - ProCharged
President, Dakota R/T Club