Re: Recovery gear storage

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 18:26:15 EDT

> Hey, offroaders, where do you store/carry your recovery gear (straps,
> chains, shackles, etc.), and do you have it organized at all? David has
> a toolbox in his bed, but that's not an option for me as I have a
> tonneau and where I park for work is NOT someplace I want to be leaving
> valuable stuff even somewhat exposed (outside the cab). I was thinking
> about just getting a big duffle bag at EMS or something. Also, whas
> shoulfd I be buying, beyond tow straps and a shacle to slide into my
> hitch (tow hooks are being installed probably Labor Day weekend).
>
> Looks like I won't have much rear-seat room, especially in the winter.
> Toolbag year-round, and the recovery gear when I go offroad and in the
> winter.

Andy,
One word: Ammo cans/boxes! They are great, and are even watertight. Check
out my 'home page':
http://www.bastaards.org/Kyle.htm
Look for the pics(2 of them I think) of the items in the truck's bed. As you
can see, I love Ammo cans, either in the 30MM or in the 50MM size. 30MM cans
are nice and small, but the 50s are nice for the bulkier items. Of course, I
do have a crossebed tool box. I keep a Rubbermade container, in the middle
of the tool box. Here I keep oil, diff. fluid, ATF, power steering fluid,
funnel, spot light, and some other small items. The jumper cables, shovel,
and first aid kit are in the cab with me, behind the bucket seats. On one
side of the tool box is the Craftsman tire iron, small tool
box(ratchets/sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, electrical tape, etc), Craftsman
tool bag(extra rubber fuel lines/hoses, assortment of hose clamps, duct
tape, wrench set, 2 spare ignition wires, and shop towels), 50MM Ammo can
with bungees, ratchet-style tie downs, and some locking tie downs. I guess
it is the tie-down ammo can.
The on the other side(passenger's side) are the serious recovery equipment.
This will include a 30MM Ammo can which contains a 15ft piece of chain with
grabs hooks at each end. Another 30MM Ammo can contains 3 shorter tow
straps, and 2-3 tow hooks. The large 50MM Ammo can my screw pin or normal
style Clevis/Shackle hooks. I think I have 5-6 shackles/clevis hooks in this
can, some capable of carrying a 20ton load. Once those 3 cans are in the
tool box, I have 2 pairs of thick work gloves, an axe, a crow bar, a 2"x20'
20,000lbs tow strap, and a 4"x15' 40,000lbs tow strap. I would suggest
taking some large ammo cans, even the ones which are bigger than the 50MM
can, and bolting them down to your bed, close to the tailgate if you done
want a tool box but want a safe and secure place to keep your gear. Good
Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6