Re: Clutch fan question(Attn Bernd and whomever)

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@pop.flash.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 02:05:45 EDT

At 06:29 PM 7/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>I just wanted to know how can you tell when your
>clutch fan goes bad? It sounds like it is on when I
>frist start up my truck, but I cannot really tell. Any
>and all suggestions welcome. Please email me privately
>so not to clog up the DML, at digum98@yahoo.com .
>

>=====
>Later,
>Geoffrey

With engine off, spin the fan by hand. If it moves then stops fairly quick
on it's own, the clutch is still good. If it spins a little then slowly
comes to a stop, it's bad. If you see what looks like an oil leak (wet
with dirt caked on) around the clutch area, it's bad. At temperature, you
should hear the fan spin at low RPMs - try goosing the throttle a little
after a hot highway trip.

Mike Schwall