Re: R/T has no power ?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 21:31:56 EDT

At 06:15 PM 7/18/00 EDT, you wrote:
>DML - ever since i purchased my 1999 dakota r/t cc , I have been very
>disappointed with the level of performance. So I added a mopar purple
>camshaft, mopar headers and a Jet performance module. I also had the T.B
>bored and streamlined at a local performance shop and added a open element
>air cleaner with a K&N filter. According to my butt dyno, I notice very
>little difference, and I'm only getting through the 1/4 mile in 15.3 sec.
>someone please tell me what im doing wrong !!!! Barry Smith, Ontario
Canada.

Hi, Barry

It's really hard to say. Having your R/T chasis dynoed would help pinpoint
what and where hp/torque that it is making.

I have come across only one '99 R/T CC at Cayuga Dragway and it was absolutely
stock running 15.0x sec. I know from this list and the R/T list (when
non-mems
could monitor it) that there seemed to be a great performance variance amongst
R/Ts. Last year, I spoke with the owner of the St. Thomas Dragway track
and he said that this was his observation as well ... a couple running 14.8 or
14.9 and the rest around low to mid-15s.

Which track are you running at? I was thinking that maybe altitude may
be affecting your performance but I can't think of anywhere in Ontario
where a track is located with extremely high altitude.

I'm also pretty sure that the OE computer for Ontario Daks are the CA emission
version ... mine is ... could have a noticeable effect at the lower rpm (2500
and below) range where the clean air testing is done.

It is also possible that the camshaft has raised your power band such that
you run out of track before hitting hp peak ... I've had to do mods (gear
ratio
and tire size changes) which would allow my Dak to go through the line at
peak hp.
BTW, I did not know that the MP purpleshaft cam was suited for the magnum
engine.

Do you run with drag radials or slicks at the track and do you have a shift
kit installed?

If you're comparing times with RC R/Ts, remember that your Dak weighs about
300 lbs more than a reg. cab. Generally, you'll have to find about 30
extra hps
just to match a reg. cab's performance.

If you have any questions, just drop me a line.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95