Supercharger coming soon...what should I do to my engine to prepare for it?

From: Charles Wyman (cewyma@Roushind.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 10:24:36 EDT

Well, I figured I'm going to be buying a s/c for my Durango in about 6-8 months. I'm looking for suggestions on anything I should do to "build-up" my engine to handle the added power. Since this is my daily driver I want to make sure nothing breaks on me. Any suggestions on a cam & torque converter to use with a s/c?

For those that have s/c: What do you like/dislike about yours? What brand is better...Vortech, ATI, Powerdyne, or Paxton? Is there a inner cooler/after cooler available for your s/c? What increase in 1/4 mile times/speeds did you see? How much boost (psi) are you getting?

My stock Durango (245 HP): 2000, 5.9L, 4x4, 3.92 LSD

My current mods are (310-340 est. HP): Mopar PCM, Quick-D throttle body, Quick-D intake (which I won't be able to use after installing the s/c), Dynomax Magnum Race Series cat back exhaust, Autolite 3923 plugs, and Mobil 1 synthetic oil & filter.

My planned mods before the s/c are: MSD 6BTM ignition system with boost timing retard, MSD or Taylor wires, cam, torque converter, Hotchkis suspension system, and JBA or Mopar headers.

Will the stock trans handle all of the above including a s/c? I estimate that I will be pushing about 440-480 HP at the crank and about 325-355 RWHP without a torque converter or 360-400 RWHP with a torque converter.

Chuck
'00 Flame Red Durango SLT+
5.9L, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, R/T wheels (Goodyear Eagle GT II 275/60/R17)
2.5" Dynomax Magnum Race Series cat back exhaust, Mobil 1 oil & filter
Quick-D T-body & intake, Mopar Performance PCM, Autolite 3923 plugs,
best 1/4 mile (stock): 16.08 @ 84 mph
www.geocities.com/papa_c_d/
cewyma@roushind.com