Re: Re[2]: off-roading inquiries

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 22:37:40 EDT

> Ok, I got one for ya'. Has anyone installed beefed up rocker panels on
their
> kota? I forget which program it was (Trucks or something like that) but
they
> showed some beefy ones that would not only protect but could carry the
weight
> of the truck incase you high centered on something... With the
loooooooong
> wheelbase we got I been thinking about installing some 'cause I know I'm
gonna'
> bash 'em sooner or later.

David Killian has some rock panel guards on his lifted GenII Dak. I bashed
the front lowermost portion of my Dak's body, right behind the front fender
flare(both sides of the truck) about 2-3 times now. This part on my truck is
like a 2 piece design now. I have actually put a block of wood, wrapped with
a towel, and beat on the wood with a small hand sledge to bend the body
panel back in. So far this has worked and looks good when I am done. This
first time it happened was when I was running 4 Dodge 'Ram Head" mud flaps,
went fourwheelin, and came home with 3 missing. Muds flaps are another item
or accessory I am not in favor of, unless where stated they are required by
law on lifted vehicles. While it would be nice to have some type of
protection, the loss of ground clearance for myself/my truck wouldnt be
worth it. I mean with a stock suspension Dak, I am already sitting low. I
could see with Dave's setup, 2" body lift and 4" TM suspension lift, the
rocket guards would be very beneficial. It just kills me when I see all
these 4WD vehicles with step up bars and even fiberglass running boards. If
they were to use their truck offroad, they would be ripped off and
destroyed. I have never liked running boards or even those metal step up
bars which are connected to the frame.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6