Re: Supercharger coming soon...what should I do to my engine to prepare...

From: Train225@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 00:33:14 EDT

For those that have s/c: What do you like/dislike about yours? What brand
is better...Vortech, ATI, Powerdyne, or Paxton? Is there a inner
cooler/after cooler available for your s/c? What increase in 1/4 mile
times/speeds did you see? How much boost (psi) are you getting?

Before you start upgrading the ignition and such, look into all the kits
available. I have the Vortech kit which comes with a Crane HI6 with boost
retard function. The install was pretty painless and can be done in a day.
The air hat houses and extra pair of injectors. It comes with everything you
need to be on your way. As far as performance goes, before the supercharger
I ran a best of 14.54 @ 94, after boost I have run a 13.51 @ 104. Even with
drag radials I have been very traction limited. Sixty foot times are still
over two seconds, it's tough to leave with a five speed. I just scored a set
of Hoosiers and hopefully will be able to shave some more time.

I did a lot of research before I dropped all that cash and would advise you
to do the same. The only other one I considered was the Pro-Charger. But I
feel the intercooler can not be effective enough during low speeds to be
worth the expense. There is not ignition with the Pro-Charger kit either. I
think someone on the list has one, but I don't know what kind of gains they
have had.

The boost level on the Vortech starts out about 5 as soon as you hit the
throttle, this comes in at less than 2000. It maxes out just over nine right
before you hit the rev limiter.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Wayne
98 RC 5.2 5 speed.
JBA headers, Flowmaster, Vortech