Leaf springs bent from traction bars....

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 16:38:23 EDT

At South Mountain dragway last weekend Scott Miller pointed out he thought
my leaf springs were bent right where my traction bars were hitting them. I
looked at it then and, to me it didn't seem abnormal looking. When I got
back home from Carlisle I started thinking about it more and stopped by the
dealership to compare it to some other new trucks. Sure enough, my springs
are bent slightly right at the spot where the snubber makes contact with the
spring. It appears more on the driver side. I have my bars positioned as far
forward as possible, if they were any further forward the snubber would be
under the front spring hanger (ideal location). I would have never thought
you could bend a spring, especially that close to the end where it is
stronger than in the middle of the spring.
I'm not real worried about the damage, it will have little or no effect on
the truck, it may have lowered the truck slightly in the rear, maybe???
Anyway, I'm going to remove those traction bars and design some longer ones
here at work, draw the plans, then buy the materials to make my own.
Ultimate goal being to have the snubber directly below the front spring
hanger. Caltrac bars would also be a remedy, if you want to spend the money.

Keep in mind this damage is a direct result of very harsh punishment at the
strip with some very sticky slicks and lots of 3000 rpms launches (over 80
runs now! ) Street trucks, and trucks racing on street tires may not have a
problem like this.

Matt--VA--Y2K-HEMI `00 Sport Plus RC 4.7L 5spd.
9 1/4 3.92 LSD, Homemade air intake,
T-Bars, Spring clamps, Mobil 1,Hoosiers
3" Flowmaster cat-back, Bosch +4's
14.48 @ 92.40 MPH
9.19 @ 72.58 MPH
209.9 RWHP/285 RWTQ
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ