Re: Re:high-lift jacks (4 wheeling post)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 18:28:12 EDT

> Ok, here's a wheelin' question for ya! Has anybody figured out a way to
> use a High Lift with the stock bumper WITHOUT damaging the plastic parts?

Yep.......remove it!! I found out that a good winter or two of flying
through snow banks and fourwheeling in corn fields with a foot of snow on
the ground, really shows how wimpy the lower air dam is. On my GenII Dak, it
is simply bolted on the the bottom 'lip' on the bumper. Not only will
removing it add some ground clearance up front and add to your approach
angles, but it would save the plastic air dam from damage, incase you want
to put it back on. I could probably put mine back on in about 10 minutes. I
highly doubt though it will ever get put back on, just because I love how
the truck looks without it.
http://www.bastaards.org/Kyle.htm
Take a look and you will see the front end shot, minus the lower air dam.
Also, I dont think the jack smokes dope.....it is a Hi-Lift Jack, haha :)
The grill/brush guard I have on my truck is bolted on in 4 spots; using
Grade 8 Hardware everywhere. The lower part of the grill/brush guard is
bolted onto a frame 'crossmember' using 1/4" thick steel plates. Right
behind the 2 lower Hella fog lights are 'tabs' on each side of the
grill/brush guard which utilize the stock bumper bolt holes. I simply took
the 2 stock bumper bolts out, and bolted on the grill/brush guard, once
again using Grade 8 hardware. Behing the bumper, or what the bumper really
gets bolted to, is part of the frame. I have no doubt I could have attached
tow hooks to this grill/brush guard, but I still opted for the
passenger's/driver's side frame rail. I am using 1994 Chevy 2500 4x4 hooks,
if it matters. Now onto the Hi-Lift question........finally :) I bet I could
put the Hi-Lift on the large tubing which the 6" round Hella floods are
connected to for a jacking point, I really think it is strong enough here.
Like Tom said, for a rear jacking poiunt, I could use hitch. The Hi-Lift's
'nose' fits perfectly into the 2" opening. Hopefully, my girlfriend will
suprise me this weekend, and get me one for my bday. I have been dropping
hints :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6