Re: Swapping Leaf Springs

From: Jon (jon@twistedbits.net)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 17:58:56 EDT

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 AWyseGuy@aol.com wrote:

> Kyle
> I'd recommend the factory 2000# spring sets.. I'll be swapping to
> those and adding some extras when I get around to rebuilding my 95. Mine was
> only a 1250# model when born. I'm still debating on the HD springs.. or just
> staring from stratch and using the Ram spring pack and just replacing the
> entire mount. Since I'm sure my 95 is in worse shape than your 93.. in your
> case.. I would stick to just changing the spring pack out. Shouldn't be a
> day. maybe 2-3 hours if things do NOT cooperate.
> Sincerely
> Aaron
> 95 Dakota Sport 2.5L, 5spd. 2wd just nobody tell it that.

   Just a word of warning... Make sure you allocate plenty of time
to do the work, especially if you decide to change out the springs.
(like, a weekend or maybe even a week). I recently installed a 4"
lift on my '92 Ram, which called for new leafs on all four corners.
The fronts came out OK, but the backs were an absolute BEAR. I ended
up cutting them off, and pulling the bed off in the process in order
to get enough clearance for the tool. A sawzall will be useless. Make
sure you have plenty of 3-4" cutoff wheels and an electric or air
cutoff tool, and/or a cutting torch.

  After I installed my lift, I saw an article in Peterson's 4x4 and
Offroad about doing the same install on a Ramcharger. They gave
up and took it to a shop, which cut out the springs. Incidentally,
pushing the bolts out of the spring eyes partially stalled a 25 ton
press. (So a hammer isn't going to cut it.) :-)

  Another issue: I don't know if the bolts for the Daks and Rams
are the same or not, but if they are, be aware that the nuts
for the bolts are on a national backorder with no estimated
delivery date as of yet. This is why my Ram is currently using
generic grade 8 bolts and lock washers.

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'