New Batteries

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 13:45:44 EDT

Champion now has a Optima look-a-like battery, called the 'Vortex':
http://www.gnb.com/consumer/auto.html
-CCA at 0 degrees is 700
-CA at 32 degrees is 900
-Reserve Capacity is 90 minutes
-SpiralCell Technology
-All the stats and technical info is there on the website
-I love batteries which have 4 posts, or the capability to have 4
-Price....anyone know? A possible cheaper alternative than Optima with
almost the same specs
-This one, depending on the price, doesnt really offer the better numbers
nor specs compared to other batteries using SpiralCell Technology

Interstate also has a battery, similar to the 'Optima, called the '':
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/
-CCA at 0 degrees is 1000
-CA at 32 degrees is 800
-SpiralCell Technology
-Reserve Capacity is 120 minutes
-Price......anyone know? A possible cheaper alternative than Optima with
almost the same specs
-Good numbers and specs

Original Optima(Red Top):
http://www.optimabatteries.com/
-CCA at 0 degrees is 800
-CA at 32 degrees is 1000
-SpiralCell Technology
-Reserve Capacity is 120 minutes
-Prices.......varies.....$105-$175
-Really the beast of automotive batteries, and they have a great repuation
in the 4WD market.

I currently have the Champion 4x4 Battery, which has 4 posts(all of which I
need and use). It delivers 1050 CA at 32 degrees and 900CCA at 0 degrees.
Best of all......it only ran me $40. This fall I am going to buy a new
battery, cause it would spoil a good day of hunting to have a bad battery,
and it will might be one of the batteries I mentioned above. If not, the
battery I currently have seems to have the better numbers, like CA and CCA
compared to the one above. Oh no......but it is not sealed and
leakproof......SO! But I could mount one of the above SpiralCell batteries
upside down.........ok for what!!! Get my drift? I would buy another
Champion 4x4 Battery for $40 in a heartbeat. My local Sam's Club carries
them, and they now are $45, compared to the $40 I paid in October of 1997.
Just going to have to call around to see what they will cost.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6