Air Compressor Accessories

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 11:20:05 EDT

The in-line filter is a decent thing to have. It gets out some of the moisture
and most of any particulates that I'm sure are no good for your expensive air
tools. I bought the Craftsman unit during one of the Craftsman Club Saver
Events. That brings it to an ok price. But it is a well made unit for the home
shop. You will also want an in-line oiler for your tools. One of the small
see-thru units they call an 'oil fogger'. What I did was cut off a 15" section
of hose and put another fitting on the end. A hardware store had the setup to
put the crimp on fittings just like the originals and it was only about 5
bucks. I then permanently attached the oiler to the short piece of hose. So
what I have is a short section of hose with a small in-line oiler that I clip
to the tool that requires oil, then I clip it to the air hose. You don't want
oil going through all your hoses all the time. It can build up in them and has
a tendency to decide to come out in globs at the wrong time. This way I keep
all my hoses oil free but have an oil fogger for the tools that need it. It
keeps the tools in good shape. And make sure you use Air Tool Oil and not
motor oil or WD-40 or anything like that. Modern air tool oil will not varnish
and cake and won't attack seals etc. It's abot 4 or 5 bucks a quart but a
quart should last you for several years. When you get your new tools, squirt
some of the oil into the air inlet and run the tool a few seconds without a
load. It'll blow oil out and make a bit of a mess but it will also make sure
it is properly oiled in case it got dry in shipping or something.

What kind of neat little gadgets are out there which are useful? I saw Sears
had some type of Compressor Regulator/Filter adapter.....it said it filters
--- snip ---