Re: Gonna beat Murphy's head in....

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 19:23:37 EDT

> Things just have to get worse don't they? Well yesterday I drove to
work(as
> always), parked the truck. At lunch time came out, fired it up, ran for a
> few seconds then died.. Hmmm, try this again.. This time it just cranks,
and
> nothing else. Quickly pulled the codes, got a 42 (Auto Shut Off circut).
> Swapped some relay, did some checks, removed the JET,MSD, and Accel coil.
> Nada..Just cranks.. Anybody have some ideas???? I'm thinking the fuel pump
> (do these trucks have a rollover switch in the tank??). The truck ran
great
> going to work... Well now it's at a local shop getting looked at. Right
now
> the guy just checked basically the same stuff I did.. Hopefully I may know
> something Monday...

Greg,
Get under the gas tank or open up the gas cap and have someone turn the key
over, you should be able to easily hear a 'hum' or a 'whine' coming from the
fuel pump. On my gas tank, you can see this molded circle part(about 6" in
diameter) on the bottom of the gas tank, this is exactly where the bottom of
the fuel pump module sits, so if you are under your truck listening for the
pump, get as close to this circle as possible. I have replaced 4 Carter fuel
pump modules/assemblies now on my truck, and when it dies all it will do is
crank, crank, crank. Two were done under warranty and I pulled the tank
myself the last 2 times. It is a fairly easy fix, should take 2-3 hours
total. Not sure on your truck, but on my '93 there is a valve on the
backside of the engine back, on the driver's side; I think it is mount on
the fuel pressure regulator. It resembles a bike tire/car tire vavle stem.
Remove the cap and press down on the vavle with a knife or screwdriver, have
a rag handy. If gas just trickles out slowly and stops, then you definately
have a fuel delivery problem. If you want, get udner the truck and beat on
the gas tank where the fuel pump is, and it may/may not startup. I did this
once when I was stranded on the woods hunting, and it worked. If you need
any info concerning the replacement of this pump/assembly, let me know and I
should be able to give you some pointers. Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6