Re: RE: Re: Gonna beat Murphy's head in....

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 22:25:29 EDT

> Thanks Kyle! I suspect it too is the fuel pump... No fuses popped, relays
> all good.. Don't recall hearing the FP whining... Hmmm... Well it's at a
> shop, but I'll pass that on to the wrench. What really sux is that I
topped
> off before heading out to work that morning. Hopefully these guys can save
> at least some of the fuel...if that's the case...

Greg,
Also, if it is indeed the fuel pump module, be sure to have the tank steam
cleaned. When I dropped the tank on my Dak, both times there was a good
amount of dirt on the bottom of the tank. Most radiator shops will be able
to steam clean it out. The one I took my tank to steam cleaned it and
degreased it for $25, and when I picked the tank back up, they even sealed
the top off really good so nothing could get back into the tank before the
pump assembly went back in. I have found that NAPA is actually the cheapest
in my area for the fuel pump module/assembly. I paid $130 this last time.
Unfortunately, they only have a 1 year warranty, and are Carter(same which
come new from the assembly line) units complete with the fuel sending unit.
Basically, the module is everything which is in the tank. Also, there is a
large 'screw on cap' or ring(which has threads on the inside of it, and
these threads correlate to the threads on the gas tank), which basically
holds the top of the fuel pump assembly down onto the tank. This
'screw-on-cap' uses a large rubber gasket, which is rubber like and really
should be replaced when changing out the pump. You can even splurge for a
new screw-on-cap if you want. Most dealers stock them, oddly enough, and
they run about $10 for the two items. I always break/snap some funky little
fuel line retaining clips when taking the lines off of the top of the pump
assembly. They are like $1 for a pair, might wanna pick some up if you are
doing it. Good Luck, hope you figure it out!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6