Re: Backup Alert-Almost off topic

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 10:13:44 EDT

What do you mean by 'survival'? Not hitting a pedestrian while driving a
vehicle is very much in the survival interests of the driver, legally speaking.
If the pedestrian survives to testify, they will usually 'walk' all over the
driver in court. That said, I don't have a backup alarm on my truck; they are
too loud for general parking lot use (I think they are designed to warn not just
pedestrians, but other drivers, workers in workplaces with hearing protection on
etc.), and my neighbors would end up shooting me after 2 or 3 mornings (I back
out of the driveway early). The only reason I'd want one is for pedestrians (I
don't need to warn the people sleeping in beds in brick houses with their heads
under their pillows in anticipation and living within a 150 yard radius that,
yes, I am indeed, going to work again). Dork factor tramples on legal survival
fitness for me. When they build a smart one that beeps at an adjustable level
relative to ambient noise then I might be interested. Maybe a GPS input so it
only beeps *where* I want it to also.

Marty Galyean