Re: Update: Starting Problem

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 19:53:33 EDT

At 06:14 PM 7/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>The second time it happened, I remembered someone saying they had
>a Park/Neutral switch problem. So I turned the key over, so I could
>move the tranny lever back and forth through the gears and then returned
>the tranny into park. It fired right up. This last time it died, I ran
>the lever through the gears/ranges, and put it back into park, where it
>fired right up. Where is this 'safety park/neutral switch' located at?

My '97 FSM shows that it is somewhere on the tranny housing but does
not pinpoint the location. If you remove the wiring connectors on the
tranny (have a pan ready), you should see the three prongs (male) of the
switch.

>Think this is my problem? Could this switch eventually 'die' so much that
>it would not allow me to even do the tranny lever trick....thus leaving me
>stranded? Would my truck still crank though if this swtich was fautly?
> <snip>

Your tests sure indicate that this may likely be the problem.

Here are possible causes for No Start in Park or Neutral:
1. Gearshift Linkage/Cable Misadjusted.
2. Neutral Switch Wire Open/Cut.
3. Neutral Switch Faulty.
4. Neutral Switch Connect Faulty.
5. Valve Body Manual Lever Assembly Bent/Worn/Broken.

I suggest that you try and check out a '93 FSM.
Hope this helps.

Bob