Re: Re: Re: SPANK SPANK SPANK (really re-powering a 1992)

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 01:15:35 EDT

>>And if not, a *new* unit is 2k++ which brings the
price up towards 5k with an engine rebuild. Incidentals should add
another 1k.
$6,000 is a chunk of money to pour into a
driver that already has 172k on the clock. If I was building a toy 6k
would be
nothing, but for a driver?<<<

well, you don't have to build a 400+ hp motor by any means, but having
the engine rebuilt with some performance parts (like moly rings and
stronger internals) will definitely increase the amount ofm ileage you
will see out of it. My advice on a tranny:see if you can get one from a
Boneyard out of a running truck, or one that hasn't been sitting long. I
got an A518 out of a 94 Dak w/60k on it for $800. A low mileage tranny
like that shouldn't cost much to rebuild, and it came out of a running
truck, so I know it's decent.
Just do a little digging and ask some questions, and you can come out
with a good strong engine/transmission combo and not need a second
mortgage =)

-mike d.

miggitymike@juno.com
http://surf.to/Project13s
PROJECT 13's ----> slammed 88 Dakota, 360 swap in progress!!

      "support your local economy... lower your truck"

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.