Re: MLM Repost: Anyone having these problems?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 10:46:00 EDT

Hi, Matt.

(http://www.ionet.net/~mmuegge_osu).

>The most alarming problem is that while idling the engine has a distinct
rattle to it.
>The main reason this concerns me is that there is a Service Bulletin
listed at
>http://www.alldata.com/TSB/17/971726CX.html (#38 under "Service Bulletins"
>- Timing Chain Noise). I called the warranty people and they said that
>they'd be glad to look at this for me for $60 up front. It was also
>suggested that I get a fuel system cleaning which sounds like a good idea.
>Any thoughts?

It could be the timing chain or lifter noise or ... Try localizing the noise
with a rubber hose held to the ear and placed a various parts of the motor.

>My second problem is that my gear shift knob is cracked around the base
and thus
>loose. Anyone that drives my truck grabs that thing and yanks it off
every time
>and I'm afraid the wiring for the overdrive shutoff is going to get messed
up.
>Are there any aftermarket knobs that accomodate that overdrive button? I
assume
>I'll just need to go to my local dealership and order a new one.

Probably, best bet is order one from the parts. dept. I've looked around a
little
and have not come across any aftermarket ones to date.

>My final problem is that the black paint on the metal part of my front
bumper is
>chipping and peeling off. It looks to me like there is bare metal
underneath like
>the bumper was never primed before it was painted. Anyone else have any
of these
>issues and if so how did you go about fixing them?

A problem more common than it should be. If you're still on warranty, take
it to
your dealer immediately. There have been many posts here which have stated
that
the problem is so common that they either repaint or replace it without a
fuss.
Mine began flaking a few months after warranty expired so I just did a
temporary
fix with a can of spray paint.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95