RE:Does your Dak have the same issues mine does?

From: jelledge (jelledge@micron.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 14:21:32 EDT

Matt, I can help on couple of your problems:
1. Gear shift knob cracked...presume you mean for the auto tranny
    since you are worried about OD. Check out all the TSB's I can swear I
saw
    one specifically for this problem.

2. Paint peeling on bumper. There was a recall for rust on bumpers for the
    Daks and supposedly if you bitch hard enough they will fix the peeling
    paint as well. MANY of the Daks have had this problem.

3. Fuel system clean? yeah good idea but just get some good
    techron fuel additive. Add the whole bottle to the tank when at 1/4-1/8
tank
    and drive to empty. This will clean those injectors pretty good. The
    BMW guys use this method and it works well.

Jason

My Dak has developed a couple problems that I thought I'd ask you guys if
you've ever experienced. Just for some background I have a Black 97 Club
Cab Sport V6 ( www.ionet.net/~mmuegge_osu
<http://www.ionet.net/~mmuegge_osu> ). The most alarming problem is
that while idling the engine has a distinct rattle to it. The main reason
this concerns me is that there is a Service Bulletin listed at
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/17/971726CX.html
<http://www.alldata.com/TSB/17/971726CX.html> (#38 under "Service
Bulletins"
- - Timing Chain Noise). I called the warranty people and they said that
they'd be glad to look at this for me for $60 up front. It was also
suggested that I get a fuel system cleaning which sounds like a good idea.
Any thoughts? My second problem is that my gear shift knob is cracked
around the base and thus loose. Anyone that drives my truck grabs that
thing and yanks it off every time and I'm afraid the wiring for the
overdrive shutoff is going to get messed up. Are there any aftermarket
knobs that accomodate that overdrive button? I assume I'll just need to go
to my local dealership and order a new one. My final problem is that the
black paint on the metal part of my front bumper is chipping and peeling
off. It looks to me like there is bare metal underneath like the bumper
was never primed before it was painted. Anyone else have any of these
issues and if so how did you go about fixing them?

Thanks,
Matt Mueggenborg