Re: drag race tips

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 09:20:49 EDT

At 08:58 PM 8/2/00 GMT, you wrote:
> <snip> I was wonderin if theres any tips that anyone can share on how
to get
> that extra speed out going down the track.

>Like changing tire pressure, adatives and stuff. Tires are about 27" tall,
>235/70/15. Trucks a cc, 5.2ltr., traction bars, 8mm ignition wires, autolite
>3923's, dual exhaust. thanks

Raise the air pressure in your front tires to reduce rolling resistance
(40-45 lbs.)
... the idea is to run on the center part of the front treads only.
Try to get an imprint of your rear tire treads to see that the full tread
width is
in contact with the ground (do a peel/burnout on a flat cement surface,
examine tread
imprint on cement and adjust air pressure accordingly).

Remove as much weight from the front of the truck as possible and any
unnecessary
items in the cab (tools, jack, anything in glovebox/console etc.).

Put Water Wetter (or equivalent) in your cooling system to help dissipate
the heat
quicker between runs and reduce the anti-freeze part of your coolant
mixture will
help greatly (50/50 mix should be a good compromise). Related in this area is
to get the truck as cool as possible between runs ... i.e. sacrifice the
number
of t&t runs for a longer cool-down period). Example: best t&t ets for the
conditions
at one track meet was 14.90 ... I passed on the last t&t after a 1/2 hr
shut-down
for cleaning up the track for a total cool-down period of 75 min. ... 1st
round
of eliminations, my et dropped 0.14 sec. from the 14.90. A 180 tstat will
help as well.

Run a short belt (bypass a/c and ps pullies).

Reset computer just after tech inspection. It varies but, with my truck, I
get
best ets on the 5th and 6th run (some get after 3rd run) after resetting.

Set temperature dial at full heat, heater flow to the floor only, and fan
on full
when going through the staging lines and pass water pit. Turn off fan when
approaching
tree from the water pit.

If you have daytime running lights, disconnect connector from daytime
running module
(driver's side front inner fender beside battery).

If track is pretty clean of loose debris, remove air cleaning unit from tb
including
tb gasket. Some have cut ets this way (I haven't) but it should increase
your trap mph a little or, at min., make it more consistently high.

Use synthetic motor oil.

If auto., shift manually (use t&t runs to find your optimal shift points
... generally,
about 500 rpm above where the peak hp rpm of your motor is). Load torque
convertor to
1000-1200 rpm (with street tires) at the launch, release brake pedal and
wait split sec.
to see if you have hooked up before going to WOT. Run with OD off the
complete way.

Try to run with a 1/4 tank full of gas. Take a full 5-gal. gas can with
you to the track.

Just some things that will help collectively. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95