Re: Encounter with 300-lb gorilla (pulling stock plugs)

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 17:03:31 EDT

Which engine do you have? On my 5.2L, I can swap out all eight plugs in 10
minutes and 20 seconds (yes, I timed it, on a bet.....). That doesn't
include gapping, of course.

As I understand it, the plugs were put in at the factory at the
FSM-specified torque. As the engine expands and contracts during break-in,
the plugs become seated tighter into the head, and that's what makes them a
b*tch to first get out. This problem would be particularly evident on
aluminum heads (but the factory may use anti-seize on those...). Probably
the best solution would be to pull the plugs immediately after buying the
truck new, then put a healthy dose of anti-seize on the threads during the
break-in.

I pulled the heat shields out of my 5.2L after the Jacobs 8.5mm wires kept
arcing to them. They've been out for over 50k now.....

--
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate