RE: RE: Another Autolite question.

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 12:43:43 EDT

In theory, enlarging the gap forces the coil to send a "hotter" spark which,
in turn, ignites the air/fuel mixture more efficiently. This has worked in
the past on numerous vehicles and is a trick that's older than me. ;)

Try .045" for a little bit and then pull the plugs out and regap them to
.040" (factory)..but check the mileage in between to see if there's any
changes.

Remember, no two engines are exactly the same from the factory so the
results might be different from vehicle to vehicle. (That's why some
vehicles run faster than the other identical...you can blame QC for that one
at most production plants.)

- Bernd