Re: Re:97 PCM

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 14:30:46 EDT

Hi, Brian

At 11:44 AM 8/9/00 EDT, you wrote:
>Received the Cal PCM for the 1997 and it does work good. I still can,t go
>over 5000 in low gear from a dead stop. It will go past it but serious loss
>of power at 5000.

Last Saturday, I recorded two 1/4 runs with the '97 MP PCM on my scanner
(15.8 and 15.5 ... both at 89 mph). I did a quick look at the outputs to see
what was causing the slower times. In addition to noting that the spark
advance
was lower than the '96 MP PCM throughout the run, I saw, just as I was
doing the
1-2 shift at about 5000 rpm, the computer retard the timing from 26 degrees to
18 degrees. Why, I don't know unless it was the only way to get EPA approval.
I re-installed the '96 PCM and promptly ran a 14.9 at 92 (best trap speed to
date).

>I was wondering if anybody had fuel delivery problems with
>the 97,s. It seems like I have always had problems this way since new.

No problems with mine. If anything, WOT is too rich.

>I have the Mopar r/t camshaft and headers and 17" tires. Final drive
recalculated as
>4:30, s with 17."

Boy, what size tires are these? My OE tires were 215/75 x 15 with 3.55 SG.
 My
drag radials are 26" and now, with 3.92 SG, my effective gear ratio is about
4.20.

>Any answers would be appreciated. Standing on it in second it pulls hard to
>5000 and shifts good and firm. Will the r/t pump package fit the 97 even
>though the part number is different?

Not familiar with the r/t pump package ... what is it?

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95