Offroading tire tips??

From: Mike Styer (m_sanders@go.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 20:16:23 EDT

Saludos DML,

I had a great three hours of offroading this afternoon until my buddy and I ran into a (or rather OVER) a problem we could not easily fix. We were wheeling a field that was all tyorn up for some nearby road construction when we slashed the sidewall running next to a half burried cable. "No problem." we say. We took the spare off and discovered that during one runs over some socks had severely dented the rim of the spare to the point that the tire wouldn't hold air. The wheel was pinching the tire, but the tire was in good shape, so we ended up walking the spare and the flat 5 miles to a service station where they put the spare tire on the good wheel.

I try to be prepared when I go out playing, but this is something I haven't had to deal with yet. SO, to correct my ignorance and fullfill by Boy Scout motto of being prepared, how can you remove and install a tire from a wheel while out on the trail? I couldn't figure how to break the bead without damaging the tire? Any hints, tips, ect. Thanks.

Mike S.
93 V6 5-speed Sport