Re: Ordering New Dakota

From: Mike Lohmeyer (mike@akhara.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 22:34:18 EDT

At 8:53 PM -0400 8/13/00, Nick Shue wrote:
>I'm going into the dealership to order a new 01 Dakota this Thursday. I
>know basicly what I'm getting, I just want everyones advice to make sure I'm
>not missing anything that I should know about optionwise. ....

      I too am ordering a new truck this week. I have figured out the
options pretty well.

      Check on the tire and handling group. The wheel size is one of
things that changed between 2000 and 2001 and I haven't been able to
confirm with the dealer what package or option determines what wheels
you get. So, if you haven't seen a 2001 with the wheels you are
ordering, you might get a surprise (16 inch wheels when you expected
15). This is probably a good thing anyway. Overall height of the
truck does not change, however. The tires are a little lower profile
on the 01 vs. 00.

      With 2001, I think you can order the heated mirrors without
having to buy the rear defrost window (for 2000, you could only get
heated mirrors with rear defrost - not available with split rear
window). You might check into that also. Make sure you get the
biggest mirrors (6x9 break away) unless you are happy with the
smaller stock mirrors.

      A 4.7L 5 speed. I guess that's why you are ordering. I'm
ordering mine this week also (QC, SLT, 4x4, 4.7L 5 speed). I had one
on order back in May, but I just missed the cut off and they canceled
it.

      Make sure you are happy with the new interior (have you seen a
2001 yet?). It is radically different compared to the 2000. I spent
quite a bit of time sitting in a 2001 and a 2000 to compare.
Functionally, the 2001 has a better dash lay out and better door
panels and switch gear, but I prefer the look of the 2000 interior.
The ceiling and window pillars on the 01 is almost white! I couldn't
believe it. I'm not happy about that, but I decided I could live
with it. Also, the stereos changed a bit, I believe for the better.

      Do you plan to tow? If so, get the 3.92 axle and the towing
group, which requires the heavy duty service group also.

      Check out http://www.edmunds.com. I used their feature/price
list to decipher all the options for the Quad Cab I'm ordering. It
took a little while, but in the end, I understood 98% of the options.
Made it much easier to know for sure what I'm getting. The pricing
is not accurate anymore (even for the 2000 trucks) and they don't
have options for the 2001 models yet, but it is close enough for
comparison, or to understand how much each option costs. Those
stereo controls on the steering wheel cost a whopping $75!

Mike

Mike Lohmeyer
mike@akhara.com
(408) 486-5281