2000 Mopar Nats [long]

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 09:10:09 EDT

Hi, all.

I arrived back from the Nats around 5:30 p.m. yesterday
and I don't know which tired me out the most, downloading
the 1070 emails or the Nats. Here are some of my observations
and experiences for a first timer.

The fun/judge fields and the organizers at C@C are way above
those at the Nats. Vehicles at the Nats are restricted to
'80 and earlier mopars except for some special and limited
performance vehicles where as C@C is unrestricted. Just
as with Moparfest (~800 show vehicles) in New Hamburg, Ontario
(restricted to '85 or earlier), these events in the last couple
of years cannot afford to ignore today's big number sellers and
are allowing in the Dodge trucks. Last year, Moparfest permitted
trucks in for the first time but had us parked in the boon docks
(at least we had shade from the trees).

I was able to find some no-demand parts for my '70 Challenger
which I have been looking for the past 6 years that I could
not find at C@C.

At C@C, the main feature is on showing mopars ... at the Nats,
it is on racing. I was very impressed with the track, especially
the way the tree operated. For DMLers into drag racing, there
are two downers ... first, it is a slow track ... second, with
over 600 mopars entered in the racing classes, there are long
waits between call-ups and you have no idea when they will be
... either have to hear over the PA (not always possible) or
listen to an FM radio station.

I was fortunate enough to spend the entire time with a couple
of Nat's veterans, Shane Baker and Jim Knox (thanx!!!). Both
went onto the second round in the Street Money Class before
dropping really close ones. I celebrated my birthday in the
first round by lighting up the big RED one big-time. (BTW,
my opponent ran a great looking black Gen II CC 318 with a 15.94
dial ... if you're on the list, I apologize for not giving you
the thumbs up as I was concentrating on backing up in the pit
area without running someone over without my power steering
hooked up).

I'll take satisfaction from improving my t&t from a 15.746 @ 86.54
to a 15.140 @ 88.58 during my 8 t&ts over Fri. and Sat., and a .507 rt
on my birthday on Sun.

I believe that Wayne Swanson in his red SC Gen II was runner-up
in the Street Trophy Class with a 14.2 dial. If so, congrats Wayne.
Street Money Class winner was Ray Block in his modded Gen II 318 with
a 14.2 dial as well (I believe). Ray is a longtime racer from Columbus
and was runner-up last year in the same class. He also drove
a friend's Neon and won in that class.

Most importantly, many thanx to the DMLers who dropped by the pit
area to say hello (I'm hesitant to put down names as I'm sure that I
will miss someone).

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95