Auto tranny reality

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 16:09:36 EDT

Well, it looks like I'm going to be going with the A-518 tranny this time
out. I just called the dealer, they want $485 for the flywheel. That, coupled
with the $200 for a new clutch (82k on this one, might as well replace it
now) Makes for a good $750 with tax. All that just to have an AX-15 tranny
that may or may not last under the punishment. That money can be much better
spent beefing up this 518. As much as I love to shift, I'm not seeing any key
points here. So....what should I do to the 518?? Shift kit is a definite.
Anything else?? I'm not sending it in for a total teardown, that'll defeat
the purpose of saving the $750. I'd much rather put that money into the
engine, but will put whatever is required into the tranny to make it
reliable. Alot of you guys got this tranny, how is it??

-Austin
Vipertruck