Re: Re: Re: lifting the Dak

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 20:11:21 EDT

> I'm pretty sure Sway-a-way does make the torsion bars, at least according
to their web site ( http://www.swayaway.com/catalog/mini_torsion_bars.htm ).
I think part# 1736 will fit in the Daks, to my knowledge the Rams don't use
torsion bar suspension. I just e-mailed them, I'll post the reply when I get
it. Getting bars from a junkyard v8 isn't going to do much for me...
Besides, the ones I've got in there are starting to sag. There is an online
shop that sells Bilstiens for a bit more (49.95/each front, 59.95/each rear)
> so there isn't much money saved there. 32s sound nice, but since the truck
spends a lot of time on pavement I need something friendlier on the gas. I'm
thinking Goodyear AT/S, for a balance of on and off road ability.
> The trailmaster 4" lift is out of the question - too much $$.

Mike,
Yes the TM Lift is a nice $1300 and another $800 for installation, so it is
a bit pricey for me too. I hope you hear that Sway-A-Way does make 'heavy
duty' tbars for our Dakotas, and please do let us know once you hear back
form them. You are correct, Rams do not currently have nor have they ever
used torsion bars on the suspension. I just thought they made only tbars
which are splined and not hex shaped tbars which our Daks use; but like I
said and I hope, I hope you find out they do make a tbar kit for us. That
would really be great news!!!! I know what you mean by 32s being overkill.
In all reality, I think a good set of 31" all terrain tires should be able
to get you and me both through just about anything. Plus, with running 31s,
you wouldnt really have to worry about a gear swap to compensate for the
larger tire diameter. Some power might be lost off the line, but compared
the 32s the 31s are more user friendly. Just my opinion, but for the money
they want for the AT/S tires, you could get a heck of a better all terrain
tire.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6