Alternator Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 00:39:39 EDT

It is possible that a 120amp alternator could possibly 'overcharge' a
battery and do damage to it? Reason being is that I would like to be able to
run all 6 of the lights on my truck at one time; stock headlamps, 2 Hella
55watt XL driving/fog lights, 2 Hella 6" Round 55watt Flood Lights. I have
noticed that the battery guage on the dash goes down a good amount when
running all the lights and think a 120amp alternator would cure this. My
current alternator is the small 75amp Nippondenso unit and I think it can no
longer keep up. I was quoted $160 for a 120amp Bosche unit. Where else can I
check for possibly a lower price? Someone on the list has/had good
connections with alternators........who are you!?!?
I want a new one, not one from the junkyard. I wouldnt mind a remanufactured
one though! Anything with warranty I guess. I plan on buying a new battery
this fall and would also like to upgrade the alternator to handle all the
electrical items I have added to my truck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6