Re: OT: Engine build books

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 08:21:41 EDT

At 05:57 PM 8/15/00 -0400, you wrote:
> <snip>
>I am seriously thinking about giving myself an education in engines from
>the ground up. I want to find a Mopar big block (440 is my first thought)
>and build myself a motor.
>1. Are there books out there that could help me with this project and if
>so, what one would you recommend?
>2. Is the 440 a good block to build on or would I be better off with
>another? (I don't want a newer engine, I want to build a good 'ol-fashioned
>straight-line hotrod.)
>3. I have my heart set on a late 60's Dart for the platform. Is there
>anything I should know ahead of time concerning peculiarities with that
>model? I had a 69 and I remember the engine bay being big enough to sit in
>with the stock 318 still in place so I don't think size of the engine will
>be a problem.

Hi, Preacher

MP puts out a big block (generic) book as well as one specifically geared
to the 383/440. I've seen them both at C@C and the Nats vendors ... good
chance you'll be able to find them at a mopar swap meet.

The 440 is a choice as they are (were?) plentiful and inexpensive.
Going from memory (bad thing for me), it may be a bit tight (at the
exhaust manifold/headers - fender areas. Let me see what I can come up
for you with from the MML.

Bob