Re: RE: RE: cooling fan

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 15:00:37 EDT

At 06:14 AM 8/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Thats true, It should be designed for a hot environment, but
>apparently it has a sensor that is detecting a predetermined temp
>and making the computer shut off fuel/spark supply. Only happens
>in hot conditions, and is activated by clutch engagement after WOT.
>Not sure about the surface temp, varies depending on conditions, but
>I know it gets to hot to lay your hand on. Never was a problem until
>the summer months. notice it at the drag strip under WOT, as soon as
>I lift to shift and then slam the gas back to the floor, its dead.
>I have to let the gas pedal all the way up, and then slam it down
>again to resume acceleration. If I let the truck cool down substantially
>it will cure the problem until it reaches the "temp" what ever that is?
>I wonder if this is TPS related, I remember some folks having problems
>with TPS's on their 4.7L's. Matt

I first noticed how hot the '97 MP PCM 5.2L auto. CA version gets
when I was at C@C after one run at South Mountain when I replaced
it with the '96 MP PCM. The '96 gets warm but nothing like the
'97 (casing too hot to hold). The '97 PCM has not shown any symptoms
(so far) like you've experienced but I thought I should pass this
along to you.

I'm going to put some insulation material around it ... maybe run
a hose from the passenger fender opening to it to see if the heat
is from engine bay or the computer itself.

Bob