Turbo thoughts...

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 09:42:22 EDT

Well, my sister called me yesterday with a small problem on her husbands
Mitsubishi 3000GT (Twin Turbo). Apparently, one of the turbo's shattered
(at 50K miles) and ruined the entire turbo system along with a cylinder
head. $7800 later, it's back on the road!

Fair warning: A centrifugal supercharger - as in Paxton, Powerdyne, Vortec
(newer models), ATI, etc., will NOT cause an engine failure this bad and
when the internals go "Boom", it will still allow air to pass through and
the parts are contained in the blower's casing. (I've physically seen this
happen on a Paxton and newer Vortec and have contacted Paxton, Vortec, and
Powerdyne to confirm this.)

For those who want to Turbocharge your Dakota....be aware that this type of
failure can happen and it's not cheap to repair.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
http://www.toycrusher.com