Re: Alternators and Serpentine Belts

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 12:47:47 EDT

> All this talk about alternators has got me curious... I have a '98 Kota
(Gen
> III?) and on the sticker, which I saved, it says I have a stock 117 amp
> alternator. First of all, does this seem right for a stock alternator?
> Secondly, Kyle keeps talking about upgrading to a 120 amp alternator for
his
> extra lights and such and I was wondering if the 117 is good enough if I
want
> to add some or does 3 amps make that much of a difference?? Please, all
you
> electrical guru's please respond.
>
> On the serpentine thing, I'm on my second (1st died at around 22K and the
> second died at around 32K miles) and while they claim it's just defective
> belts, I'd kinda like an opinion here as I'm running out of warrantee
space
> here. They claim to have checked the belt tensioner (by pulling on it)
and
> claim it is in spec.... Is there a more accurate test for the tensioner or
do I
> believe them that I'm just lucky and got two defective belts???

Tom,
There is a little number crunching you can do to determine what amp
alternator you will need or do need, based upon the draw and requirements of
all stock accessories and add-ons.
http://powermastermotorsports.com/index.html
Just click on the high amp alt section and then on the 'tech' section and
start adding up numbers.
My stock serpentine belt lasted like 60,000 miles on the current Goodyear
belt has like close to 70,000 miles on it and looks 'ok'. Maybe spend the
$30 and get yourself and nonMopar belt and see how long it lasts. I know
this is really what warranty is for, but sometimes it is also inconvenient.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6