Alternators and Serpentine Belts

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 17:08:37 EDT

All this talk about alternators has got me curious... I have a '98 Kota (Gen
III?) and on the sticker, which I saved, it says I have a stock 117 amp
alternator. First of all, does this seem right for a stock alternator?
Secondly, Kyle keeps talking about upgrading to a 120 amp alternator for his
extra lights and such and I was wondering if the 117 is good enough if I want
to add some or does 3 amps make that much of a difference?? Please, all you
electrical guru's please respond.

On the serpentine thing, I'm on my second (1st died at around 22K and the
second died at around 32K miles) and while they claim it's just defective
belts, I'd kinda like an opinion here as I'm running out of warrantee space
here. They claim to have checked the belt tensioner (by pulling on it) and
claim it is in spec.... Is there a more accurate test for the tensioner or do I
believe them that I'm just lucky and got two defective belts???
TIA!
Tom