Re: RE: Re: FSM-Alternator Belt

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 17:25:14 EDT

On a '97, the tensioner bolt is a 15 mm. I use a closed ended wrench
that's extra long for leverage. I also find it easier on the left
hand to wear a thick padded glove to push and hold the tensioner
to the passenger side in order to slacken in the belt for removal
and installation ... a second party does make it easier.

I remove the belt from the idler pulley (the one without the grooves)
first and install it on the idler pulley last. You'll find it difficult
when putting on a new belt but it becomes easier over time as it stretches
(I short belt at the track so I've put it on and taken it off many
times.)

BTW, small cracks that run across the belt's rib(s) are considered
normal. Cracks that run along the rib and glazing of the belt
indicate that it should be replaced. Hope this and posts
from Chuck and Bernd help.

Bob