My truck has more issues than Reader`s Digest!

From: Steve Preston (steve318@webtv.net)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 22:10:58 EDT

O.K. I`m driving out to a friend`s house in the country.The road winds
it`s way up a ridge and levels out,then climbs some more and levels out
again,so I decided to lock out overdrive at the start of this
road.Well,I notice that the engine is really lugging on the hills,and
even after the road becomes level again,it lugs down when I give it
gas.I engage the overdrive,and it`s fine.On the way home,I decide to
lock out OD on the highway,and the tach jumps up to 3 grand and power
goes way up,which is normal.Seems like third gear works on the highway
but not when climbing hills at 15-40 mph.I have been thinking about this
all day,and I finally realize that the Dak must be failing to downshift
when in 3rd gear.I don`t understand this at all.It operates normally in
overdrive.Come to think of it,I had locked out OD the other day when it
had a pinging attack,and I noticed the engine lugging then.It may be
sticking in FOURTH when I do this! That makes a lot of sense.I`ll check
`er out more tomorrow.

1999 Dakota Sport RC 4X4 V6 A/T 3.92 Anti-Spin w/Infinity CD system and
optional crank windows (2)